Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Sad, sad news

Well, Radar went to see the vet (alias "Dr. Death") today and the bad news is that his other ACL (left rear appendage) is ruptured. Badly enough that it will have to be repaired.

A few weeks ago, I read an article by a "newspaper vet," you know, the kind who publishes all sorts of wisdom about everyone's pet ferret or lizard or whatever. This guy was asked about a dog's torn/ruptured ACL. He answered that it needs to be repaired in a large dog, but not in a small dog. First, I asked my self what happens to a medium dog? Since then, though, I have been pondering why a vet wouldn't repair a leg of an otherwise healthy small dog. Radar is a large chihuahua. I mean HUGE. Not fat, just longer and taller than chihuahuas are supposed to be. But he still is small. 11 pounds. See? That is huge for a chihuahua.

If anyone has an answer, let me know. This little guy hopped around on three legs, so he was certainly in pain when he used his bum leg.

Of course, I am glad I hadn't read that article before he had the right knee repaired. What would he hop around on now???

I guess we are in for another fun few months.

Oh boy, I can't wait!

No comments: