Saturday, June 2, 2007

Meme from Hol

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Put your music player on shuffle.
2. Press forward for each question.
3. Use the song title as the answer to the question even if it doesn’t make sense. No Cheating!


How do you feel today?
Ah, se in ciel, benigne stelle (Italian for "Ah, if in heaven, benign stars")

What's your outlook on life?
Dirait on (French for "One would say") It is a dumb song I had to sing last year on my trip to Europe)

What does your family think of you?
Fantasie de Carmen (Fantasy from the opera "Carmen") by Sarasete

What do your friends think of you?
Answer me sung by Renee Fleming

What do your exes think of you?
Wozzeck: The Midnight Sun If you've ever heard Wozzeck, this is an interesting answer!

How's your love life?
In This Very Room (sung by my friend CJ Liotta)

How will your love life be in the future?
Aer tranquillo sung by Rita Streich

Will you get married?
Comfort Ye by Handel from the Messiah (I'm married already.)

Are you good at school?
Finale: Presto, non tanto (It means "quickly, but not a lot" in Italian)

Will you be successful?
Ou va la jeune Indoue (the Bell Song from the opera "Lakme," sung by Joan Sutherland)

What song should they play on your birthday?
Laudamus te (Latin) written by Mozart and sung by Renee Fleming

What song should they play at your graduation?
Caro Nome by Verdi from the opera "Rigoletto" and means "sweet name" Rigoletto's daughter, Gilda (pronounced Zheelda) is in love with Gualtier (Walter) Malde and sings of her love for him in this aria.

The Soundtrack of your life?
O mio babbino caro from the opera "Gianni Schicchi" by Giacomo Puccini This is a song sung by Lauretta, stating that if she isn't allowed to marry Rinuccio, she'll throw herself into the Arno (river.)

You and your best friends are?
You've changed sung by Renee Fleming

Happy times:
Carol of the Birds sung by Kathleen Battle

Sad times:
Then Shall the Eyes of the Blind be Opened by Handel from the Messiah

Every day:
"Rejoice Greatly" by Handel from the Messiah sung by Joan Sutherland

For tomorrow:
E strano...ah, fors lui (also called "Sempre Libera" from the opera La Traviata by Guiseppe Verdi)
E strano means "it's strange" and "sempre libera" means "always free" This is a great aria!

For you:
Oh, zittre nicht mein liebre sohn! which means "Oh, do not tremble, my dear son", but it is being sung by an evil witch who is trying to trick this poor wandering man into helping her. It is from "The Magic Flute" by Mozart.

What does next year have in store for you?
L'adieu les bergers or "The Shepherd's Farewell" by Berlioz

What do you say when life gets too hard?
Vocalise by Rachmaninov sung by Renee Fleming

What song will you dance to at your wedding?
Je suis seul...Ah, fuyez, douce image by Jules Massenet in the opera "Manon") It means "I am only...flee soft image"

What do you want as your career?
Entr'act which, of course, means "between acts" which is a piece of music that plays in the opera "Lakme" by Delibes

Your favorite saying:
Introduction et Rondo Capriccio played by Joshua Bell This is my daughter's FAVORITE violin piece! It most likely would be HER favorite saying!

How will you die?
Scarlatti, Mentre io godo (Aria della Spreanza)
Scarlatti is the composer, I think, and the title means "While I enjoy" and it is Spreanza's aria to sing. This version has Cecilia Bartoli singing it, though.

Please play along! It helps to have an iPod, or another MP3 player. Leave me a link if you play so I make sure not to miss it.


Once again, I don't know other bloggers, so anyone who wants can do this one. It is fun, even if the song titles are hard to read. Of course, it might be easier if the songs were in English. I just don't have many. Definitely no "top 40" types. I listen to and enjoy classical music, and especially opera. Just wish I could speak some of the languages and know what is being sung!

This was fun!

Thanks, Hol!

Okay, now I am supposed to link back to Hol, but I have no idea how to do that. Sorry, but I'll email you to tell you I did this. I will also do the other one that I only just found today!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yay opera! Makes memes confusing. Heh. Are you going to do the 7-10 interesting things about yourself one?

I'll get to them eventually…

Hol said...

Too many meme's I know. ;)

I may not recognize some of the songs, but it gives me a reason to look a few up.

Have a wonderful day!