Saturday, December 1, 2007

Musical Ramblings...

Things are moving right along...

I have a recital coming up. I think it is January 12. One of the three tenors with whom I'll sing has asked me to sing a duet with him. It is actually a soprano/mezzo duet--The Flower Duet from Delibes' opera Lakme, and I'm not sure how it will sound. We'll see. I have always wanted to do that song, but he has only just ordered the music. Do you notice what I just said? I haven't seen the music, so I haven't even worked on it. Ever. I still have my other songs to work on.

I am already scheduled to do a duet with another tenor, but it is a Christmas duet, so we may have to think that through. We've never sung that duet together, either. We sang a wonderful duet together once, but I don't know if it was wonderful to hear. We had practiced the music separately, but never together. Never until we got out on the stage. I have a DVD of that performance and when I look at myself, I think, "Was I that nervous?" I guess I had good reason to be.

On another note, my lessons both this week and last, centered around Rejoice Greatly by Handel. I love the sentiment of the song, but hate singing it. I sang it for the first time just before last Christmas in a freebie sing-along with the Capitol Hill Chorale and DC Church of the Reformation. The building was packed. This song is not so special except that you need three lungs to sing it. I hated it last year and as soon as that performance was over, I deleted it from everything I had. I sang all the soprano solos, but Rejoice is the only one I despise. The others are easy. I thought I was in the clear this year until just about three weeks ago when my teacher asked if I'd sing it again for them. Ugh. It is one of those things you do when you feel like you need to, not because you want to.

I've sung all my life, but never took lessons until about four and a half years ago. My teacher is an amazing musician and is willing to put up with my quirks. Like when I sing something and then add: "I hate that!!" or when I tell him I am done and I won't ever sing again because I am so frustrated. He pushes and prods when he needs to and then strokes my ego when I need that. He has a piano concert a week from tonight that I'd like to hear. He sits behind the piano and it seems like there are no wrong notes on it. His hands fly across the keys and he laughs a little as he plays. It is obvious that he was born to play the piano. I hear him play a lot, but I could always listen to more. I think the reason I am singing Rejoice is because I had so much fun doing the sing along last year. I got there early and he was up on the stage of the sanctuary practicing the organ. I turned the pages for him and sometimes, when I'd turn a page, he'd say, "Oh, no! The next piece has to be done on the piano!" So that was my cue to move out of the way, as I was in between the organ and the piano. It was funny. Okay, I guess I enjoyed it some.

So, wish me luck. I have a lot to work on in the next two weeks.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Just to let you know, you sounded great on that duet.

I'm sure the recital will work out. You're an amazing singer; I'm pretty sure it won't take you long to get the music figured out!

xoxo,
Ky

Hol said...

Good luck! I'm sure you will do well.

I've always enjoyed listening to you sing when you were cooking or just busy doing something.

xox - Hol