Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Things I enjoy

Okay, this is just, as my daughter would say, "Random."

I was flying home from Texas a couple of days ago and realized that my favorite parts of flying are 1) getting to the destination relatively quickly, and 2) the great changes in G forces. It is like a roller coaster without the jolting and jarring that my back can no longer tolerate. Remember, enjoy those roller coasters when you are young because if you are lucky enough, you'll eventually be in one of the categories that should not ride them anymore. I guess the G force thing is what used to make people throw up so much. I remember some of my first airplane rides--not the small aircraft I rode in for fun with my friend's Dad. Those barf bags were really used! I can remember hearing someone throwing up in nearly every flight. I don't recall the flights being any different. Why don't people throw up anymore? Did we get stronger? Did those people just never fly anymore? I doubt it. The flights now are much rougher and the conditions are much more primitive now than they were then. At that time, it was rare to have to sit next to someone. The flight attendants were called stewardesses and they had to be drop-dead gorgeous. They were assigned to desk jobs once they hit 40, got fat, or became pregnant. In the middle of the flight they roamed the aisles and passed out decks of cards, blankets, pillows and little gold-covered plastic wing pins. Every girl wanted to grow up to be a stewardess. Then, once I grew up, they became flight attendants and they look/act more like drill sargeants than Barbie dolls. The thrill is gone.

Well, one more thing I like is a brief thunderstorm. It washes everything off and my dog wants to be held. Otherwise, he is quite independent. He's getting better after his surgery. Now, we have the job of trying to keep him from overusing the reconstructed knee. He is a rascal.

I'll take a picture soon. My camera says it has a battery problem. I think there is no flash. Where is my techie-daughter during my time of crisis?

1 comment:

Hol said...

I remember having one of those plastic gold wing pins. That was fun.

Now, not so much.

Everything seems too cramped, they don't offer any food or snacks for free anymore. I don't think I'd pay $2.00 for a granola bar... unless I had a child that needed it. I agree the flight attendants seem to be a bit more gruff, and hardly ever smile.

The "funny" thing is that we're paying more for less service. Hmm, what a concept. The airlines have it all figured out. Make more money with less work and cost to them.

Glad you had a safe trip to and from.