Sunday, October 19, 2008

Date Night

Last night, K and I went to a concert in beautiful (?) downtown Frederick, MD.  We had a great time listening to Phil Keaggy and Fernando Ortega.  No, neither of them lit their musical instruments on fire, but it was a wonderful concert, nonetheless.  I was a bit dismayed to see that the average age of the members of the audience was...ahem...let's just say it was close to my own age.  I really can't imagine getting to see and hear a better guitarist than Phil Keaggy.  He was amazing.   

When I listen to the music of Fernando Ortega, I am moved by his depth of feeling and how he can transport me to where I can see the landscape of the New Mexico area he loves.  He sang quite a few of the songs I love to hear and I found them to be a bit different from his recordings, probably because he accompanied himself on a piano instead of playing with a guitar.  The songs were emotionally stirring and I could understand each word.  He is a classically trained musician, and he even sings properly, in a pop/folk way.  

I had a great time!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like it was fun! I'm glad you guys are enjoying not having to do Orchestra board meetings and all that other high-school-tie-up-your-schedule junk—I mean stuff…

I love you! Can't wait to see you guys!

Hol said...

What a fun night! I'm glad you got to go and enjoy a concert together.