Monday, February 18, 2008

Fine Tuning

Well, I listened to the tape of my recital today.  Or at least most of it.  In other words, I've heard enough!  

Given:  I missed a crucial note in Glitter and Be Gay and I will be sad about that until I am able to do it properly in public.  

Okay, now for the rest of the tape.  It really wasn't too bad.   I need to take it to my teacher and see what he says.  He'll be all happy and say how great it was.  Okay, I'm not deaf.  I know where the mistakes were.  It helps me to just get them out in the open so I can deal with them.  But overall, I am pretty pleased.  

I learned a lot.  First of all, be certain of the order of songs before you agree to do a recital.  I had planned to to the hardest piece last.  It got placed as the third from the last song I did.  That threw off my timing and I didn't feel I was ready for it and that is my theory of how I missed the note.  (It was Glitter and Be Gay--a torturous song from Bernstein's opera Candide.  You can look it up on YouTube, especially when Kristen Chenowith does it and you'll love it.  I happened to study the version done by Dawn Upshaw.  I love her musicality better than Kirsten Chenowith.  Dawn Upshaw actually sings it, Kirsten Chenowith gets silly and wimps out of the lower parts.    

All of this is just me being picky, I know.  I'll have to listen again when I have more time, but school resumes again tomorrow WAAAAY too early in the morning, so I need to get to bed.  


2 comments:

Laura said...

Mom, you sounded fantastic. I could hardly hear any mistakes, and I was in the second row! You did great, and I loved it.
xoxo!
-Ky

glee said...

Thanks! You are the best member of my fan club! I love you!