Monday, September 3, 2007

Ugh

Yep, tomorrow's the day. The first day back at school for the students for the year.

I'll try to not appear down about it, but how can one not be depressed when one looks out over the course of a school year and sees 183 days looming in front of one? Okay. enough of the "one" business. Let's see, why do I hate it?

The noise level in the school building goes up 1 million percent. Every complaint you've ever heard from a teacher is true. Classes are too large. Kids are uninspired. Parents are too busy (not all parents, but enough to make a difference) to help out their own child. I have to see so much neglect that it is sickening. Kids rushing in at least once a week looking like they've been up all night holding cookies in their hands for breakfast.

I do attendance for the kids. Do you know friends who are ALWAYS late? They were probably taught that by their parents. It is crazy how the same kids are late once or twice a week. Those are the parents who can't understand why their kids are not doing well in school and can't pass the state-mandated tests.

I hate the first day of school because there is this "school is fun" mentality that is just a lie after about second grade. School is work and sometimes, just SOMETIMES, learning and knowing is fun.

Ah, yes, it will be a great year.

2 comments:

Hol said...

I hope your day went better than expected.

I know that your sister sees and experiences very similar things... also very frustrating.

It's not any better in Texas or Michigan, unfortunately.

I'll be praying that things will improve.

Susan said...

It is hard to go to work when the situation seems dismal and frustrating. And that reminds me of the verse "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." Colossians 3:23 I had to say that one over and over in my head many a time! Blessings to you as you start back to work.