Saturday, August 18, 2007

Try, try again

This is my third attempt to blog. I sit down and a feeling of tiredness plops down on top of me and that is all I can think about. I think it is the result of trying out this full-time work stuff. I hope I get used to it.

I did find something amusing to mention today. Since about three weeks ago, we have been the caretakers of a little hamster. Ky's friend is going off to college and her parents are selling their house and moving to Chicago, so the hamster needed a new home. Ky is as much of a softy as the rest of us, so we now have this little guy named Blueberry. Poor thing. I have no idea how he got that name.

It's been a while since we've had a hamster. I have nothing against them, but I hate getting attached to something that looks so much like a mouse. I've never seen a hamster who looks happy. They always want out of their enclosure because they don't realize that being out would mean certain death. They bite. They move in such a frantic way that I feel pity for them.

I decided to give our Blubie a little freedom in his ball. I put him down and came over here to check my email. I heard him gliding across the floor, first this way and then that. Ky was in DC with friends, so I was trying to be responsible. Then, I heard, "thunk, thunk, thunk," before it dawned on me that the sound was the ball falling. By the time I caught up with Blubie, he was about eight steps down the stairs to the basement. I picked him up and it seemed as if he was a little mad at me for stopping his fun. At least I know he's tough!

5 comments:

Hol said...

Blueberry is a cute name for a hamster. I agree with you though. I'm not sure how one would gain that name.

Oh yes, the hamster ball and stairs. I don't think ours ever rolled or fell down the stairs. We usually had them in the basement.

I had a Dwarf Hamster. That's what they were called. Maybe there should be a better name for the smaller sized hamsters. Miniature Hamsters?

The one I had was named Nate, but I'm not sure if it was a he or a she.

glee said...

Ah, yes. He or She? I don't want to find out!

Hol said...

Yes, of course you can come over. (You're always welcome to.) We still have some mac & cheese from last night.

Susan said...

Blueberry sounds like a yummy name for a hamster, if I were a cat!

Laura said...

He is a Blueberry Dwarf hamster. My parents keep calling him Blueberry, but the name the previous owner gave him is Blubie. I'm sticking to that. I don't think he knows what his name is, though.

Silly little guy, rolling down the stairs. At least he's tough!