Saturday, November 15, 2008

What a sight!

We have had a rather gloomy week, weather-wise.  It's been damp, dark and a bit windy all week long.  I got up this morning and started my usual weekend chores and at about 3 p.m. or so, decided the dog might need to go outdoors.  (He'd been out before, don't worry!)  I looked out my front window and saw that the sun was shining pretty brightly, but it was raining.  I grabbed the umbrella and the dog and headed out.  As we got to the sidewalk and turned toward the northeast, I noticed a rainbow up against a very dark backdrop of sky.  It was unusual in that it filled the complete sky.  I could see all 180 degrees!  I was noticing how I could distinguish all the colors, too, which is a feat for me since my distance vision has always been lousy.  I enjoyed it for a couple of minutes and then turned to figure out what the dog was doing and when I turned back, it seemed like I could only see about 160 degrees.  I wasn't sure, though, and I walked a bit further and encouraged the dog to keep moving.  When I turned back, only about 3o degrees of the rainbow remained.  It made me a bit sad to see it go, but I'm so glad I went outside when I did!  

No comments: