Sunday, June 29, 2008

We're back!

Well, we took Ky to V Tech today.  It was sad to know that I'll miss her, but it was great to know that she will have such a wonderful opportunity.  She is at STEP, which is Students Transitioning into Engineering Program.  It is a five-week workshop in which students who are entering Engineering at Tech study Chemistry, Engineering, and Mathematics study those subjects with real professors.  They will have tough assignments and lots of work.  They will see how tough it is and how much work they will have to do before it really counts.  They will use computers like those they will use in the Fall.  These are tablet laptops and I would think familiarity with them would be a plus before the semester begins.  

It is possible that Ky will decide she really doesn't want to do this much work for 4-5 more years.  That's fine.  I think she's been doing comparable work for the past year or two (five AP classes this year and two the year before and one during her sophomore year) and will enjoy the challenge.  She is also still somewhat shy, but is learning to deal with that and has become much bolder in the past few years.  She tells us that she plans to meet each of her profs just to meet them and she plans to not be ashamed to ask them for help.  

Today, I was reminded how much I love college towns.  Blacksburg is a cute little town arranged around the campus.  It has a neighboring town called Christiansburg.  I feel the area will suit Ky just fine.  They even have a bus system to use--even if they want to go to the nearby WallyWorld!  Is that great, or what?? 

As smart as she is, and as hard a worker as she has become, I plan to pray for her daily.  I hope you'll join in and pray for her, too.  

I'll miss her a lot, but she really seems to belong there.    

2 comments:

Hol said...

That is really exciting since Ky gets to experience all of this, and sad at the same time because she will be gone for so long.

We will be praying right along with you!

glee said...

I'm a little lonely, but so happy she is getting this opportunity. Letting go is very hard! I'm just glad I can let her go into the safety of His care.

I have to remind myself that this is the way it is supposed to be.

Thanks for the prayers!