Saturday, June 28, 2008

Packing for the next stage

Today is devoted to packing Ky up for her five-week stint at college.  :-(

The frown is for her dad and me. 

She is ready, of that I am sure.  We are not, of that I am also sure.  We'll survive, but it will be hard to change our lives this way.  Other friends who will be packing their kids off to college soon will be able to add, "well, at least we won't have his/her temper tantrums" or "the house will finally be quieter" or something like that.  We don't really have an upside that I can predict because Ky is fairly quiet, respectful and a very peaceful person.  She is the same in public as she is in private.  Just. plain. nice.  

Wish I could say I know the secret to raising a really, really nice child into a great adult, but I don't.  She came that way, pretty much.  We were very tough when she was young (18 months until about 4) because we felt everyone needed to learn discipline and the younger you learn it, the easier and more naturally it comes.  She is the most disciplined person I've ever known.  She learns quickly and remembers everything.  (Too much, sometimes!)

All in all, the only explanation is that God gave us a wonderful child who has grown into a fantastic adult.   He gets all the credit and deserves all the glory.  I'm sure she has only begun her journey and I'm excited to see where she will go.  As long as she goes where He chooses, she'll do well.  

Please pray for her and for us. 

Thanks.  :-)

No comments: