Sunday, October 7, 2007

How Does One Go About Choosing a College?

My DDD is in the final stages of choosing which college she'll attend next year. I tried as hard as I could to convince her to stay nearby and go to the local community college or even a nearby 4-year college, but I didn't get far. Truthfully, I don't want her to go to either of those places.

College is a great mid-way point in a person's life. You are still kept busy with activities like classes, yet you have free time and new living arrangements and strange environments to adjust to and you get to be surrounded by a culture centered around others like you. Your money worries are minor compared to those you'll have for the rest of your life and everyone expects that you'll do some stupid things and for the most part, you'll escape with little consequences, as long as you don't go to crazy. You decide when to be awake and when to sleep, you decide when you'll eat and do your laundry and homework. It's a great situation. You have some freedoms and some restrictions.

When I chose my college there was no choice. Okay there were other colleges, but there was really no discussion about where I'd end up. It turned out disastrous in Oh-So-Many ways, but I survived.

Usually, when I face a problem, I turn to my older sister, whose children are now grown and married and doing quite well in all the ways a parent hopes. The only problem is, neither she nor her children really chose their schools. I mean, not like today. Where the kids are told to apply to at least one "probable" school, one "certain" school, and one "reach" school. It seems almost like a lottery.

I wonder who perpetuates this multi-application to colleges atmosphere. Probably the accountants at the colleges, since applying to a school is an expensive act: in time, emotions and money.

Sometimes, you must apply to both the university and the college you wish to attend. I did that a couple of years ago. I was a little worried about getting into the university, but not the college. Instead, I got my rejection letter from the college (of my proposed major) before I got the acceptance letter from the university. So, I was admitted to return to college, but had no major. End of adventure.

Well, keep DDD in your prayers as she does all the necessary paperwork for admission. She has two schools who want paperwork NOW, but she'll know early if she is into those schools. That would be nice since then she could spend her time doing well on her FIVE AP classes this year instead of having to continue to answer essay questions and fill out online forms, only to have the entire form disappear suddenly when you accidently hit the wrong button.

Any suggestions for schools???? (Engineering is the proposed major!)

4 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for the support, Mom!

xoxo!

Hol said...

I'm pretty sure Texas A&M, UT, and Texas Tech have good engineering programs. ;) I'm kidding. I know that's a bit far for your liking. Although, J & I are about an hour or two from College Station.

I did a search for "engineering colleges" and found this page.

http://www.engineering-colleges.info/
Search/search_home.htm

(I split it so it would fit in comments.)

Good luck with the search and paperwork.

glee said...

WoW! Thanks, Hol!

Susan said...

Virginia Tech is good for your area, MIT of course, more on the economical side would be UTA :-)... she could live with gram!!!